Sports Related Careers
Sports related careers are aspired by a huge number of people who are skilled and talented in some type of sport. There are a number of careers related to the various sports. Not only the sports persons or players can make a career in this very field, but also, the coaches, umpires, referees, physiotherapists etc. However, like the entertainment industry, the rate of success in this field entirely depends on the skill of the professionals. They succeed as long as they keep entertaining and appeasing the audience for which, they have to keep refining and polishing their skills.
The tasks of the professionals in sports related careers depend on the role and job type. The athletes, coaches, umpires, doctors, all have different tasks to perform:
- The Athletes are the key aspect of these careers. They are required to practice and perform (play) thoroughly. They are supposed to listen to their coaches and trainers for better results.
- The Coaches train and teach the players various tactics and techniques to win. They make them practice and help them to enhance their physical stamina. They induce unity and sportsmanship within the players. The coaches hold major part of the responsibility of the victory or defeat of the team.
- Umpires/ Referees tasks take place at the time of the game. They are present on the ground along with the competing teams. They keep a keen observation on the players and declare decisions like dismissals, winning points, faults, fines, penalties etc. They play a crucial role in keeping the players in discipline and ensuring a fair play.
- Doctors, physiotherapists and remaining medical team assist and accompany the players at all venues and locations. They provide immediate help to the players in case of injuries, bruises, cramps, muscle-pulls etc.
- Team Managers, Board Members are the professionals who take care of the official work and arrangements of the team, coaches and other assistances. They organize and schedule various events and leagues. They handle the department of hiring and firing the players and other professionals. They even take care of the profits and losses of the boards, leagues or business of the same.
- Commentators are the professionals who give a live or recorded description of the sports-events that are taking place, or which have already occurred. Their task is to give a vivid elaboration of all the action that took place in the game.
Depending on the occupation, the professionals are demanded different qualifications for sports related careers:
- The athletes are not expected much formal academic achievement. They must be highly skilled and trained in the sport that they wish to pursue the career in.
- The coaches and trainers are generally the veteran or senior retired sports persons. They are expected to be highly experienced and successful in their past sports career.
- Referees and umpires require training in umpiring. Apart from this, the referees might be a professional player for the same game. He/ she are supposed to be thorough with the rules and regulations of the game.
- The medical team hired for the sports groups are experts in the physiotherapy, first aid and emergency issues. They are medical professionals who do the same job that they might do at a hospital or a clinic. They possess degrees, diplomas and certifications in medicine and other specializations.
- The commentators and announcers must also be professionals, well acquainted to the sports. They may or may not hold regular and formal degrees.
- The board members and mangers are people with management skills. They may or may not be demanded certain bachelor's degrees and diplomas. Most of the selectors in the board and leagues are retired players themselves.
Other necessary Skills
- For sports related careers, the professional first need is a thorough knowledge of the particular sport in which he wishes to pursue his/her career. A strong training in the same is required with immense amounts of practice. In addition, strong physical stamina is a major necessity in this, as the entire career is based on physical activity. Feeling of unity, sportsmanship is very essential among the players.
- The coaches and trainers must be good counselors. They must inspire and motivate the team members.
- The referees and umpires need to be very sharp and vigilant; in addition, they must have knowledge of multiple languages to interact well.
- For the members of management, organizational skills, knowledge of business and analytic approach is vital.
- The commentators must be fluent in multiple languages with pleasant voice and accent
- The medical team needs to be attentive, quick decision making with good communication skills
Place of Work
The major place of work in sports related careers is the ground, field or arena of the sport. They play, practice and perform various roles at the location of the game. However, the management team works at air-conditioned offices. The commentators and announcers sit and narrate the incidents in soundproof rooms or studios.
- Local clubs
- County teams and groups
- National sports events
- International sport leagues, boards etc.
- Schools and Institutes
- National scouts and Guides department
- Personal coaches, trainers, fitness directors
- Supervisors and consultants for selection of teams at various levels
- Popular athletes often endorse various brands; become ambassadors for various federal and state ministries etc.
The wages in sports related careers totally depend on the caliber of the candidate. If the athlete performs well, he can earn highest of wages. He could be earning not only from the team from which he plays but can also invite various highly paid opportunities. Apart from the regular wages paid by the board, the professionals also receive extra allowances and perquisites.
If any of the professionals mentioned as above, has extra-ordinary talent, he or she can advance up to very high levels. Beginning the sports career at the local or regional level, followed by outstanding performances, can lead the sports related careers to pinnacles of success, name, fame and wealth. From the local levels, one can make way to the international standards, provided he or she has the required talent.
Only few people reach to the topmost levels in sports related careers. Although, the field is very promising, it continues until one has the skill and potential to perform. This mainly applies to the athletes and coaches. The other sports professions like the managers and medical assistants can find stable employment if the sport is popular in the nation. They can even switch from one league or other depending upon the raise in the opportunities. However, the athletes must also carry out some other additional employment for a stable life and career.
Find more about Sports Career :