How to Answer Architect Interview Questions
The field of architecture
is predominant since ancient times. Examples of creativity exist all over the world. Architects with different styles of construction, focus on maximizing profits, improving safety and provide excellently designed buildings. Some buildings are icons of the locality. The role of an architect is very important in terms of energy management. Proper use of natural lighting and solar energy minimizes the operational cost of the building and makes it eco friendly
An architect interview is an opportunity for an architect to prove his/her abilities. These interviews mostly look for candidates with good creativity and a futuristic view. The candidate has to make sure that he/she has to show such capabilities. Looking confident and talking positive is necessary for an architect interview candidate. The interviewers also expect candidates to be well dressed. A professional looking dress is directly proportional to success.
Questions in an architect job interview are informational, subject related and situation related. Questions regarding historical architects and buildings also appear frequently. The following are frequent questions in an architect interview.
- Tell us about yourself.
- What are your strengths?
- What are your weaknesses?
- What is your most successful project until date?
- What was your biggest mistake and what did you learn from it?
- Do you have an architect's license?
- What are building codes?
- Are you familiar building codes of the project site?
- What are the building code requirements for elevators and escalators?
- Explain the term/what 'the means of egress' means.
- How would you use natural lighting in a tall building?
- How would you design a building with a centralized cooling unit if the average day temperature at the site is very high?
- What are the advantages of steel structures?
- Explain the architecture of the Eiffel tower.
- Explain fire resistance rating.
- What is a floating project?
- What are the devices used in a floating project?
- What are the requirements for current and tide monitoring?
- What are the requirements to construct a building in a high seismic level zone?
- How do you perform cost estimation for a project?
- What software do you use for you designs?
- How do you design a blueprint using software?
- How do you give importance to emerging technologies in your projects?
- What did you like most in Roman Architecture?
- What did you like most in Mayan Architecture?
- Which was the most impressive building architecture you have seen?
- Do you have experience in managing a team?
- What is the size of the largest team you have managed?
- How do you see yourself five years from now?
- Who/what inspired/inspires you to become an architect?
- Why should we hire you?
- Do you have any questions for us?
The candidate should maintain a clear voice while answering. An unclear answer can easily create a bad impression and reflect signs of less confidence. The candidate has to deal stress questions properly. An architect should never let stress affect hi/her decision-making. Ample preparation is required to handle architect job interview with ease.