Business Analyst Interview Questions
Business Analysis or Business Analyst (BA) is a very generic term in today's business world. The International Institute of Business Analysis
has defined the role of a business analyst as "A business analyst works as a liaison among stakeholders in order to elicit, analyze, communicate and validate requirements for changes to business processes, policies and information systems. The business analyst understands business problems and opportunities in the context of the requirements and recommends solutions that enable the organization to achieve its goals."
A business analyst's job is to identify the problem areas of the business as well as explore new growth opportunities with the help of mathematical and quantitative tools. Thus, majority of the interview questions asked are job related that test a business analyst's knowledge and understanding of the subject.
Common Business Analyst Interview Questions :
The interview naturally starts with a few primary questions like -
- Can you brief us about yourself, your education, qualifications and work experience?
- What are your ambitions in life?
- What are your professional strengths and weaknesses?
- What sets you apart from the other candidates?
- What were the reasons for quitting your previous organization?
- How long can we expect you to work for us?
The interview questions gradually progress towards more job related questions and this is where you have to score the highest. This section will cover the maximum terms and technical details of business analysis.
- What are the responsibilities of a business analyst?
- How would you define a software project life cycle? Can you quickly explain the various testing stages involved?
- Name some SDLC methodologies.
- Tell us something more about Regression Testing.
- What is the difference between Waterfall Method and Prototyping Model? What is the hybrid of these two methods called?
- What is Rational Unified Process (RUP)?
- What is a Traceability Matrix? Why is it used? And, at what stage does a BA start or stop using it?
- What is the purpose of a Test Director Tool in a project?
- What is the meaning of GAP analysis?
- What do you know about UI Design Patterns?
- What are the principles of UI Designs?
- Brief us about UML modeling.
- Elaborate the importance of flow charts.
- What do you understand by System Design Document (SDD)?
- Explain in brief about Risk Management.
- What are the advantages of Requirement Management Tool?
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a test manager?
- What is a Use Case? What is a Test Case? What is the relation between the two?
- How do you evaluate a business plan?
- What differentiates Black box testing and White box testing?
- What does User Acceptance Testing involve?
- What is Data mapping?
- Who is the end user of the output produced by BAs?
- What does the term 3NF denote? Give explanations.
- What are the challenges faced by a business analyst?