How to Answer Chef Interview Questions
People's choices and interests may differ, but everyone has a specific recipe or taste that mesmerizes them. A chef bridges the gap between tastes and desires. Chefs specialize in a variety of cuisines such as Italian, Mexican, Spanish, and Japanese etc. The variety of recipes to satisfy anyone is a huge list containing sushi, pasta, risotto, tacos, barbecued meat, and much more. Taste does not know age and has to conquer the hearts of ice cream liking kids, burger liking youth, cheesecake liking mothers, chicken wing eating fathers and coffee liking elders.
Covering such a wide variety of taste is the duty of a chef. The job of a chef is in satisfying the person and not in designing the best recipe. A chef interview is a place where the candidate has to prove his/her skills to the interviewer. It includes questions that are informational in nature, questions from recipes, sauces, toppings etc. and questions referring to kitchenware usage.
The following questions are frequently asked in a chef interview. The types of recipes in the questions differ from restaurant to restaurant. The interviewers will expect clarity in the answers with a step-by-step explanation for recipes. Confidence is the main factor in answering these questions.
- Tell us/me (You always skip this!!) about yourself.
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- What is your most successful recipe?
- Which of your recipe was the biggest failure?
- What are the types of steak?
- List some low calorie, low carb diets.
- What are the contents of a vegan diet?
- What is poaching?
- What is grilling?
- What is barbecue?
- What are the contents of a barbecue sauce?
- What are the contents of Herbes de Provence?
- List the types of wine.
- How do you evaluate a wine?
- How do you choose a wine?
- What are French mother sauces?
- Give an example of tofu based recipe.
- How do you prepare hollandaise sauce?
- What is the difference between sauce and ketchup?
- Explain blanching.
- Explain sauteing, scalding and smoking.
- Suggest some sugar substitutes.
- How do you prepare an egg less, sugar free pastry?
- Suggest a zucchini based recipe.
- What is your experience in Italian cuisine?
- What is your experience in Mexican cuisine?
- What are the types of coffee?
- What are the contents of Irish coffee?
- What is whipped cream?
- What are the medicinal effects of green tea?
- What is total fat content in cow milk?
- Suggest a recipe for a diabetic.
- Explain the preparation of a cheesecake.
- What is Haute Cuisine?
- Suggest any Turkish recipe
- Explain the preparation of Spanish Tortilla de patatas.
- What is your experience in Sushi?
- List the types of ovens.
- Explain the functioning of a microwave grill.
- What is your experience in induction cooking?
- What are the metals allowed in a magnetic induction stove?
- What are the components in a formal dinner table setting?
- Which is your favorite recipe?
- Who is the world's best cook?
Mom is always the world's best cook!