Customer Service Interview Questions
Sharpness of mind, attention to details, good communications skills, ability to make quick and correct decisions, negotiation, assertiveness, politeness, problem solving ability are some of the qualities that a customer service representative must possess. You should be able to convince your interviewer of all these skills that you possess during the interview.
Customer service job interviewing questions differ from company to company based on various factors like the product or service they offer, their clientele, target area etc. However, there is a standard set of questions that are asked during the interview.
Customer service job selection procedure usually starts with screening interviews to narrow down the list of applicants. Phone interviews give an idea to the interviewers whether you are suitable for the position. Thus, your first preparation should be in the direction of succeeding the phone interview and securing a date for the selection interview round.
Phone Interview Questions for Customer Service Job
- Tell me something about yourself.
- Could you elaborate your resume for me?
- Can you brief me what are your duties and responsibilities in your current organization?
- What sets you apart from the other candidates? / Why should we hire you instead of the other applicants?
- Why do you choose to apply to our company over the others?
- What do you know about this organization?
Once you clear the phone interview, you will be invited for a selection interview. Selection interview questions are more or less similar to the phone interview questions. Only this time, the interviewers will expect you to vary your answers a bit and, give them detailed explanation to their questions. Selection interviews for customer service representative job involve comprehensive questioning that aims at bringing out the necessary skills in a candidate.
Selection Interview Questions for Customer Service Job
- How would you define your strengths and weaknesses?
- In your opinion, what is the most challenging part of the job?
- What kinds of products and/or services have you dealt with?
- How would you describe your average working day?
- What has been your best achievement till date?
Apart from these questions, you will be tested for your computer and other technological knowledge. A customer service job profile usually lists out these following requirements:
- Proficiency in oral as well as written communication.
- Maintaining customer relationship.
- Adequate knowledge of relevant software applications.
- Accurate processing of information.
- Ability to grasp technical nuances.
You can expect the interview to gradually course towards behavioral interviewing. This segment will determine how you will perform, if selected.
Behavioral Interview Questions for Customer Service Job
- What would you do if a customer suggests some changes that is irrelevant or goes against the policy of the company?
- How would you explain a steep price rise to a customer?
- Have you had to handle criticism/ negative feedback about the product/ service you sold? How did you manage with that?
- Can you tell me about an experience where you had to take additional efforts to resolve a customer's query?
- Have you ever had to turn down a customer's request? What was the reason? How did you explain the reasons to him/ her? What was the outcome?