Dietetics Internship Interview Questions
After successful completion of dietetics course from an institute, students have to complete the internship program before commencing their full time practice. Many hospitals and healthcare institutions offer internships to the freshly graduated students.
These internships are helpful for the students as they help in achieving the core competencies required to be a successful dietician. Thus, you have to make sure you get through the interview to intern at a reputed and worthy institution.
Following is a list of interviewing questions faced by dietetic interns.
- Could you walk us through your academic performance?
Your resume will contain all the information, but you will be required to orally summarize your academic performance. Understand that all your scores will be scrutinized and you may be asked to justify the good/ bad GPA.
- What skills must a good dietician possess? Which one of them is the most important according to you?
A good dietician must essentially be a good communicator. He/ she should be able to break down complicated scientific terms into simple dietary advice. Similarly, a dietician has to build a good rapport with all the patients.
Other than this, you may also mention having a strong hold over the dietetic knowledge, having good listening skills, ability to put the patients at ease, possessing the drive to continuously learn more.
- Our dietetics internship program is a rigorous process with long hours of work. Do you think you are capable of working for long stretches?
Most internship programs for dieticians involve long hours of work. Thus, it is not advisable to reply in negative. Internships are intensive training programs that help you to gain competencies required for that field.
Mention that you are ready to face any challenge that might pose during the process of being a successful dietician.
Other than these, there will be knowledge based interviewing questions as below.
- What are food compilation tables? How do we use them?
- What are the limitations of food compilation tables?
- What is the influence of political and economic factors on food consumption?
- Can you explain how psychological factors affect the food consumption?
- On what basis/ principles would you plan a balanced diet for an individual who has been recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes?
- What are the different types of malnutrition?
- How would you explain the assessment of the quality and quantity of food to an individual?
- Can you mention how the chemical and physical composition of the food affects its nutritional value?
- Explain in short, the difference between organic and inorganic chemistry.
- Are you aware of any software applications available for dietetics?
- What impact do cultural factors like traditions, customs, taboo etc. have on food consumption?
These are the typical interviewing questions that a dietetic intern can expect to be asked during the interview.