General Engineering Interview Questions
This article will give you the list of common questions asked during an engineering interview.
Engineering is application oriented science. A person graduated in engineering is known as an Engineer. Engineers study, design, commission and maintain buildings, machines, automobiles, production technologies and equipment, intricate instruments, power production and transmission facilities. The field of engineering is known to exist from the ancient times. Engineers give a huge emphasis to mathematics. Major engineering disciplines include civil, mechanical, electrical and chemical engineering. Other important fields are materials, aerospace, production, electronics and process control engineering. Biomedical and bioengineering are some of the newer fields and are growing rapidly.
Basic questions about the candidate:
- Tell about yourself.
- What are your strengths?
- What are your weaknesses?
Common questions regarding work experience and problems handled during work:
- Do you have product development experience? Explain.
- What is your experience in meeting a tight deadline?
- Do you have experience working under pressure?
- Has your team leader criticized your performance?
- Do you practice stress management? How?
- How do you foresee yourself five years from now?
Teamwork & Communication : This is the part of the interview where the interviewer starts a stress interview type of questioning. The ultimate aim of the interviewer is not to irritate the candidate but to test his abilities.
- The candidate should have in mind that there is no need to panic for such questions.
- No negative points should be told about the present company or seniors in any answer.
- The reason for change can be mentioned as the need of better growth opportunities.
- It is not advisable to mention the monetary benefits even if it is the sole reason.
Questions on teamwork and communication :
- When do you think you can lead a team?
- Explain your best teamwork experience.
- Explain your worst teamwork experience.
- How do you communicate with your team leader?
- How do you handle a situation during the absence of your team leader?
- How would your team leader rank you in terms of technical skills?
- How would your team leader rank you in terms of sticking to deadlines?
- How do you rate your team leader in terms of technical skills?
- How do you rank your team leader in terms of people management?
- Cite an incident when you have lost your temper during work?
- How comfortable are you with meetings?
- How would you conduct a meeting? How frequently?
- How do you manage your to do list?
- Do you work for extra hours? Why?
Company related questions :
- Why do you want to leave your present company?
- Explain any one of your company's products.
- Explain anyone of our company's products.
- Why do you want to work with us?
- Why should we hire you?
- How can you contribute to the company's development?
- What are your hobbies?
- What is your ideal vacation spot?
- How do you balance your personal life and career?
- Are you interested in sports?
- Do you want ask us anything about our company and products?