Law Internship Interview Questions
Interning at a law firm is a foundation step to being a successful lawyer. Law internships teach you the intricacies of the legal world since you have to work in tandem with the other lawyers. Many law firms offer internships to freshly graduated law students. These students get an opportunity to debut their careers with these law firms albeit in the form of internships.
A great deal of preparation is required to intern at a renowned law firm. First of all, your academic performance should be impressive. While good grades may not necessarily attract the attention of the interviewers, bad scores will definitely be questioned upon. Secondly, you will be in direct contact with the firm's clients. So, brush up your communications skills and make sure it is evident during the interview.
Majority of the questions are based on the training provided by the college. Interviewing questions also include a peek into the candidates' future goals, expectations and performance.
Following are the interview questions that a law intern can expect to be asked during the interview.
General Questions :
- Tell us something about yourself./Give a brief introduction about yourself.
- From which law school have you graduated? Tell us something more about your institution.
- How would you describe your curriculum/course pattern? Did you gain any hand-on experience during your entire course?
- Have you had an active participation in any events? Tell us something about them. What did you get to learn from them?
- How well do your grades reflect your abilities?
Job Performance Review :
- What do you think is your greatest strength? Why?
- What is your biggest weak point? How will you overcome it?
- What do like the most about being a lawyer?
- What do you dislike the most about being a lawyer?
- What has been your biggest achievement till date?
- What has been your biggest failure till date?
- Tell me about a project that you had to undertake during your graduate program. What were your contributions to it?
- Are you a better leader or a follower? Which one do you prefer to be?
- What are your motivational factors?
- Are you easily de-motivated?
- Do you work better in a team or individually? What are the reasons?
- Can you describe us an incident when you had to resolve a tough problem?
Internship Objectives :
- How do you think this internship will help you in your career?
- What is the reason for choosing to intern at our law firm?
- Do you think you are qualified for this internship? In what way can you contribute to our firm as an intern?
At the end, the interviewers may ask you, in case you need to resolve any queries. Do ask a few questions that will tell you more about the firm and their internship program.