Operations Management Interview Questions
Operations management jobs are considered as highly responsible jobs. An operations manager is responsible for the smooth functioning of the organization through strategic planning, execution of the plans, provision of financial directions, development of varied projects, variance analysis etc.
An operations manager thus has to be well qualified for the position. During the interview, in addition to your qualification and experience, your working methods will also be reviewed. Hence, be prepared with your answers for all kinds of interviewing questions that will be posed to you.
The Initial Interviewing Questions
- Brief us about yourself and your resume.
- Tell us more about your qualification as operations manager.
- Can you tell us your reason for applying to this company?
- What are your professional strengths and weaknesses?
- What are your objectives? Have you been able to meet your short term goals?
- What can you offer to this company? / Why should we hire you? / How can you contribute to this company? How do we know you are the right person for this position?
- Why do you wish to leave your current organization?
- How would your colleagues describe you?
- Do you lead better or follow better?
- What do you know about us? / What can you say about us?
Questions related to Operations Management
- Tell us about your experiences as an operations manager.
Mention your field of work in the previous organizations. What were the projects you developed, how they were executed - this way, you can provide a small sketch of your previous experience.
- Have you had to handle variance analysis / cost benefit analysis/ Management Information Systems (MIS)?
These are the technical aspects of the job. Thus, let them know if you have had an opportunity to explore that section of operations management. If not, mention your eagerness to work in that field too.
- How is your ideal operations management team?
You can state what kind of people you would like to work with. You can say that you strive to work with result oriented people who are self motivated and believe in working towards a common goal.
- Are you proficient with the latest software applications used for operations management?
Make it a point to tell the interviewers of all the applications that you have had an experience with. However, if they mention a new software tool or, something on which you have never worked, ask them if they would provide a training session so that you can learn them.
- How big was the largest team you have worked with? What difficulties did you face with such a large group in terms of work/ project?
Your answer will speak a lot about many things. Your planning, execution, ability to address and direct a group, resolve problems, leadership, communication will be scrutinized through the answer you provide. Thus, carefully frame you answer, evaluate what you want to say and only then reply.