Psychology Internship Interview Questions
Internship at a reputed healthcare institute is always beneficial for career. Internship gives the chance to apply just gained theoretical knowledge into practice.
Nowadays, getting internships in psychology department at a healthcare institute has become a tough game. Thus, one needs to prepare for the interview well in advance.
Interviewing questions will focus on your training orientation, knowledge of subject and overall suitability for the interning position. Following are the commonly asked questions to a psychology intern.
- Why do plan to build your career in psychology?
It is a known fact that career in psychology is very lucrative. However, this answer may not be well accepted by the interviewers. Thus, think of what made you choose psychology as your career option. Mention what interests you the most about the subject.
- What objectives have you set for your internship year?
Psychology internships are great ways to learn the practicalities of the field. Thus, you have to make the most of this learning period. You have to set such goals that will aid you in a long run.
- Can you tell us something about your dissertation topic?
Your dissertation topic will be greatly discussed. Hence, be prepared to discuss how your topic appealed to you and why you decided to work on it. Similarly, do not forget to mention your research, channels of research and how it was presented.
- What are your expectations from this psychology internship?
Tell them the benefits of this internship for your future career. Be prepared for this question in advance, so that the interviewers know that you have given a serious thought to interning with them.
- Can you tell us about a case study you may have undertaken?
When you are explaining about the case study, make sure that you cover all vital points. What was the case, your approach towards it and finally the result - ensure that you have answered all the questions that arise based on these points.
- Do you think you have good communication skills? Can you provide us with an example?
Communication skills are very important for a psychiatrist. As a psychology intern, you need to handle many patients and in an effective manner. Thus, you need to develop these skills during your training period. Give them a small description of an incident that highlights your communication skills.
- Are you comfortable working late evening hours/ nights?
Medical internships usually involve working round the clock. Thus, you don�t have any other option than to say a �yes�. Your internship chances will be as good as zero if you expect easy working hours.
There may be other questions included at the interview as follows.
- Which of our electives would be most appealing to you?
- Tell us about your clinical interests.
- Have you had any experience as a supervisor? Can you narrate an incident or two about your experience?
- How would you rate yourself as a psychiatrist?
At the end of the interview, you may be asked if you have any questions for them. These are some of the relevant questions that you can pose.
- What are the facilities available to the interns?
- Do the interns have an access to computer applications?
- Would any major changes take place in the internship programs? If so, what are the reasons?