Retail Management Interview Questions
In retail sector, a retail manager is responsible for leading a team that ensures the delivery of goods or services to the end users. A job in retail management requires a candidate to possess a melange of varied skills and talents. Accordingly, the interview questions focus on tracing these skills along with the job knowledge.
Questions based on your background
- Could you walk us through your resume?
- What training have you had in retail management?
- How long have you been working in retail management sector?
- What retails sectors have you worked with earlier? Which one do you prefer the most, and why?
Questions that test your leadership qualities
- What are the qualities that every successful leader possesses?
- What is the best thing about being a leader?
- On the scale of 1 to 10, where would your subordinates rate you as their leader? And, why? Justify with an example.
- How good are you at accepting suggestions from your subordinates?
- What do you dislike about being a leader?
- What steps will you take to improve the performance of an under performing team member?
- Would you use your authority to get a work done? To what extent do you think it would help in getting good results?
Questions that test your communication skills
- Can you tell us how frequently you call for a team meeting?
- How do you communicate a failed decision to your superiors?
- How would you communicate a tough management decision to your team?
- How would your clients rate you for your communication skills? Justify with the help of an example.
Questions that test yours planning and organizing skills
- Do you design a work schedule for you and your team? Have you been consistently successful in carrying it out regularly?
- Does/ Did your team have common long term/ short term goals? What were they and how were they achieved?
- Have you had problems in coordinating your work despite the meticulous planning?
- Tell me how your planning has helped you to be an alert manager with keen attention to details.
Questions that test your problem solving ability
- What is your general approach towards a problem? Do you weigh the pros and cons of the problem? Or, do you concentrate on immediate rectification of it? What are your reasons?
- Have you had to resolve a difference of opinion between two of your team members? What was the issue and what role did you play to resolve it?
- Tell me about the time when a client had complained about not receiving his consignment on time. What did you do to appease the client? How was he compensated?
- Can you tell about the time when you anticipated a problem much in advance and helped in averting it?
- How will you address an issue with a difficult team member?
Questions that test your result orientation skills
- What steps would you take/ have you taken to complete an extremely difficult task in a very short span of time?
- Are you willing to compromise on your ideas to the ideas provided by others that seem beneficial?