Second Interview Attire
It is always emphasized that a candidate must prepare for an interview right from the scratch. The first thing that interviewers notice when a candidate steps in the room is his physical appearance. Thus, dressing appropriately for an interview should never be underestimated.
Especially during a second interview, you need to dress properly considering a lot of things. For one, second interviews are day long affairs. Hence, you must choose attire in which you are comfortable for the whole day.
Secondly, second interviews are full of meetings with various people ranging from the seniors to the subordinates. You must set out to impress each and every one of them.
Many candidates are often perplexed when it comes to choosing their attire. Some companies provide a dress code for the second interview, which makes it easier for the candidates. However, if there is no specific dress code mentioned you can safely follow these rules and tips.
For Men :
- Business casuals are the best options for men during a second interview. A formal shirt - plain, striped or checked - combined with dark colored trousers is accepted attire. You can also team it up with a smart tie. However, avoid bright colored combinations, striking tie patterns and jeans.
- Business suits are close next. Usually, business suits are avoided by most candidates as they look too professional. Secondly, they can tend to be a bit uncomfortable as you may have to carry on with long meetings throughout the day.
However, candidates applying for executive/ senior posts must not avoid suits.
- Combine your shoe color well with the color of your clothes. For example, black shoes will go well with black, blue and other dark colored shirts. Similarly, dark brown shoes will blend well with pastel shades.
Make sure your shoes are clean and well polished. Wearing sneakers, sports shoes, torn shoes are definitely not acceptable.
- A presentable haircut, clean shave, clean and manicured nails must be emphasized
- Avoid a strong aftershave and perfume. Mild perfume should work wonders
For Women :
- Formal suits in black would be the safest bet for women
- Formal shirts with half/ three fourth sleeves combined with trousers or knee length skirts are acceptable. Avoid wearing sleeveless blouse and/ or short skirts.
- Smart business wear for women are also available with stylish jackets. However, avoid heavy leather jackets/ jackets with designs or patterns. Corduroy jackets are very much used by many women candidates.
- Go ahead with suede suites if you can carry them well
- Footwear should be chosen with care. Overtly stylish, colored sandals should be avoided. Similarly, avoid wearing straps and stilettos as you may have to walk around the company a couple of times for various interviews and test.
Each candidate must remember to wear a pleasant smile on their face whenever they meet someone from the company. Professional dressing attire will create an impact on each and every member of the organization.