UNIX Admin Interview Questions
To excel in any interview, it is necessary to have complete knowledge of your subject and be proficient in every aspect of your field. Similarly, to secure a job as UNIX system administrator, it is important to know the answers for the following questions, which can be asked during the interview.
The initial interview phase will cover introductory questions like:
- Tell us something about yourself. What are your educational qualifications, work experience? How long have you been working in this field? What are your interests?
- What are your aims in life? How do you plan to achieve them?
- What makes you stand out from the rest of the candidates?
- Describe your strengths and weaknesses.
- May I know the reasons why you quit your previous company?
The actual interview starts the knowledge testing questions like the following. Make sure you answer these questions using the correct technical terms.
- What is the command to find the IP of a Proxy server in UNIX?
- What is the command used in UNIX to view a list of opened files?
- What command do you use to make a file hidden?
- What command do you use to delete a hidden file?
- What is "Kill-9"? What does it do?
- When do you issue "Kill" and "Kill-9" commands?
- How do you differentiate between UNIX Compress command and LINUX Compress command?
- What are grep commands?
- How would you save a path in command prompt in order to retrieve it later?
- Explain hard link and soft link in UNIX.
- What is Marshalling?
- Do you have any idea about 'loading' and 'linking'? What is the difference between the two?
- What are inode numbers?
- What is Stickybit?
- Explain Redirection.
- Explain how to find free space in UNIX/ LINUX.
- How would you define and explain "Shell Job Control"?
- What is a kernel? Where do you locate it in UNIX?
- What is micro kernel? How would you differentiate between a kernel and a micro kernel?
- In what way does the kernel differentiate between device files and ordinary files?
- What is an exact path from root directory to target directory called?
- What is Relative path?
- What is the difference between Absolute path and Relative path?
- Explain the difference between LILO and STUB.
- What are the major categories of UNIX commands?
- Can you explain the difference between dynamic library and static library?
- Could you explain in brief the Interprocess Communication Mechanisms?
- What do you understand by 'shared memory'?
- What command should be issued to find all the accessed files during the previous month?