Cover Letter for Legal Secretary
With so many lawsuits being registered in all types of courts daily the world over, a job as a legal secretary can be a rewarding and satisfying option. Legal secretaries are appointed by attorneys to handle the clerical and administrative duties in the office. Unlike other secretaries, it is compulsory for the people working in this position to gain some basic legal training.
If you have completed your training and trying for a job as a fresher, or are experienced, you will need a cover letter. Since you are someone from the legal field where writing is the core skills used for communication, the employer will expect you to be exceptional in written English. Hence, the responsibility as a candidate in applying to the job through a cover letter is more on you. Like every specific clause pertaining to a contract or case that you type have to be hundred percent relevant, similarly, the cover letter must be specific as well. It should generate a sense of feeling about you in the readers' minds that you are the one they are looking for.
Tips to Write Cover Letter
- Start any word-processing application on your personal computer along with the Internet. You can visit a cyber cafe if you do not have it at your home. In the application, open a blank new document. Additionally, search for a standard professional cover letter format on the Internet. Copy the format and create a letter-head with your name, address and contact numbers. Keep your name slightly bigger than the rest of the texts. Leave a double-space and type the date. Follow the step, and now instead of the date, include the recipient's name, designation, company's name, and address.
- Find out the name of the person who is assigned to view applicants' cover letter and resume. Address him according to his or her gender since some names may be confusing and hard to find if it belong to male or female.
- Start by adding something about yourself that can introduce you in a simple and short manner. Include the position you are seeking an employment for. The reader may also be curious to know who told you about the position or where you have read about it. Therefore, include that detail as well in the first paragraph.
- Since clerical and administrative duties are the primary responsibilities of a secretary, indicate how you are presently helping your employer in these regards. Mention about your skills in preparing legal documents, court subpoenas, contacts, entering petty cash expenses, assisting attorneys in researching a case, visiting police cell to have a talk with the defendant, attend the court hearings, apply and submit applications to the court for dates and other legal issues.
- As you cannot add your personal attributes in the resume, you can use the third paragraph to describe it. However, just check before sending the cover letter that the attributes that you add must be useful for the applied job.
- Concluding the letter with a thank-you note is very essential to reflect your softer side and mannerism. Mention about the enclosed resume and the steps you have decided to take as a follow up.
Checkout our sample resume cover letters below :
- Sample Legal Secretary Resume Cover Letter 1
- Sample Legal Secretary Resume Cover Letter 2
- Abstractor Cover Letter