Accounting Internship Interview Questions
During internships, accounting students assist the professional accountants and thereby learn the nuances of the accounting sector. Internships are realistic and practical approach to the training process. Through internships, one can learn to apply the knowledge in the real business world.
In a similar way, accounting interns are exposed to various sections of accounting that enables them to recognize their area of expertise, and thereby further their career in that field. Interning at a leading accounting firm attracts tremendous job opportunities for interns. Hence, it is imperative to do well in an accounting internship interview to secure a place as an intern at a prestigious accounting firm.
- Why do you prefer our firm over the others for internship?
Provide substantial reasons for your preference for this firm over the others for internship. The company's reputation, working standards and ethics, impressive growth records, learning atmosphere can be some of the reasons that you can mention while answering to this question. However, ensure that you have the correct and adequate information about the company to name them as reasons.
- Why should we hire you to intern at our firm?
Your resume will accurately speak about your suitability for the job in terms of academics. However, you will have to add some more information about yourself that makes you the right candidate for interning at their firm. Thus, clearly talk about how you can play an important role in their organization.
- What would be your weaknesses, if you were asked to name a few?
Every one has his/her set of drawbacks. Thus, do not shy to admit a few. Accepting your negative points will only project you as a person who introspects himself.
- What work principles do you follow? What motivates you to work?
Preferably, everyone must set a work standard for him/ herself. Your answers will determine your approach towards work.
Finally, the interviewers cover the questions that are based on accounts.
- Would you be comfortable working under the audit section of our company?
- What is payroll?
- Will you be able to assist out payroll department? In what way? Have you had any experience in handling payrolls before?
- Do you know how to efficiently read a balance sheet? Are you capable of finding discrepancies in one, if any?
- With what section would you prefer to work? And, why?
- You may have to work on designing marketing strategies and tax structures for our clients. Are you comfortable with that?
- Speak about a presentation that you had prepared.
- Are you proficient with the various software tools that are available for accounting purposes? Which ones have you had training for?
- You may be required to be continuously in touch with our clients. How would you rate yourself on communication and interpersonal skills?
Interning at a good accounting company will ensure a fruitful career as a successful accountant. Thus, ace your internship interview by preparing in advance for these types of questions.