Letter of Recommendation Tips
Expert Advice for Writing Letters of Recommendation
Ted is a young aspirant looking out to begin his career with a bang. He has already started with his job search and has been through a few interviews. Although few interviews went positively for Ted, final decisions are still pending. Recruiters have asked Ted to submit recommendation letters from his previous employers to know his professional history. This is an important task for Ted as his career depends on it. Let us help Ted draft his letter of recommendation perfectly and help him gain the job of his choice. Given below are the expert advices for writing letters of recommendation.
Preparing to Write Letter of Recommendation
- Identify the purpose of writing the letter. It could be to gain admission in an institute or to achieve the perfect job. Draft this letter as per this objective to make the letter more effective.
- Jot down the different points that you wish to include in your letter. Make sure these points coincide with the requirements and the purpose of writing the letter.
- It is advisable that you draft the letter yourself so that you can include all the necessary points and match it with the objective of the letter. You can forward the first draft for finalization to the referrer.
- Restrict the letter length to one page. An elaborated letter of recommendation irritates the reader.
Choosing the Referrer perfectly
- Choose the right person to write the letter of recommendation. Make sure the person is of high designation with credible qualifications. If a reputed person is referring you, it is advantageous for the candidate as his credentials make his opinions more valuable.
- Have a referrer who knows you personally. Your association should be long and worthy enough that, the referrer gives a detailed opinion about the candidate's qualities. In case of a telephonic background check, the referrer should be able to answer the queries perfectly.
Writing the letter of recommendation
- Address the letter with this title, whomsoever it may concern. One needs a letter of recommendation for variety of reasons. Depending upon the reason, one needs to submit it to different heads. Hence, do not draft the letter with any particular name.
- Support your opinions about the candidate with appropriate examples. This will help the reader have better understanding of the candidate's qualities and capacities.
- The first paragraph should have certain important details. It should include the referrer's name, designation and institute / organization name. Additionally, write in brief about the nature and duration of your association with the candidate
- While specifying the different qualities of the candidate, make sure the candidate comes across as unique. Emphasize on the special qualities that make him different from the crowd.
Tone of the Letter
- The purpose of the letter is to recommend the candidate and put him forth as the most deserving and suitable candidate. Hence, do not shy from including all your achievements and strengths within the letter.
- A referrer drafts the letter. Hence, unlike a resume a little more appreciation and flamboyancy in the letter is acceptable.
- Be honest in writing your qualities. Do not write false or exaggerated instances within the letter.
Ted followed the given expert advices for writing the letter of recommendation. The letters impressed the recruiters enough and he got selected for the job he always wanted.