Court Reporter Career
In Career as Court Reporter, the person has to write and keep the record of the conversations, court hearings, legal proceedings or any other legal event taking place in the court premises. These written proceedings are sometimes required to be produced for later uses.
There are many different way to prepare the records in Career as Court Reporter:
- Stenography: The stenography machines allow the reporter to press multiple keys. The conversation recorded can be converted to the text document after wards easily.
- Electronic Reporting: This type of reporting uses audio equipments to record all the court proceedings. The reporter monitors all the audio equipments for the clarity, so that the recording can later be converted easily. This includes analog and digital recorders.
- Voice Writing: In this type of reporting, they speak directly into the voice silencer (microphone), a reporter repeats each word spoken by the judges, lawyers or by the other persons available. The written document is prepared later.
There are many types of tasks in Career as Court Reporter. The tasks are done not only during the court sessions but also before and after the sessions. The lists of different tasks are:
- Creating the written scripts of speeches, conversation, meetings, hearings or any other proceedings.
- A court reporter is responsible for producing complete ensured and secure legal record as and when required.
- Develop self procedures for easy storage and retrievals of the documents. This helps the court reporter to be sure that all the documents are kept secured and in an order, so that he can produce it instantly when asked to do so.
- Most of the court reporters work in the court premises but many now do the same work on internet. These types of court reporters are known as web-casters.
- Apart from making report, some of the court reporters are also assist the judges and trial attorneys in several different ways, such as searching for organizational records, making suggestions to the judges regarding courtroom administration.
To be a good Career as Court Reporter one must have proper Degree in the respective field. Many colleges run courses to be a court reporter. The courses can be categorized depending upon the type of court reporter one wants to become:
- Simple Reporter: less than 1 year is required for this course. Also the person must possess the Bachelors Degree in Law or its equivalent
- Trained Court Reporter (voice reporter, electronic reporter): There are many advanced courses of 2 years. The minimum qualification is Bachelors Degree in Law or its equivalent.
- There many certified courses also by which one can specialize in court reporting
- Certified Real-time Reporter
- Registered Professional Reporter
- Communication Access Real-time translation
Other Necessary Skills:
Apart form the educational qualification there must be some interpersonal skills required for Career as Court Reporter are:
- A court reporter must have a basic knowledge about the legal issues.
- If he is using the stenography, then his speed must be good so that he writes each word spoken by the judges, lawyers or by convicts in the hearing session.
- Should have a good grasping ability. This is mostly required by the voice writer and the electronic reporter.
- Able to produce error free reports, as the papers are very important there is no place for errors.
- Must be patient with working, as in court procedures are sometimes very lengthy as well as tiring.
Places of Work:
The work place for Career as Court Reporter includes
- Any private law firm
- Real-time transcriptions firms (public events, religious, educational services)
The Career as Court Reporter is has many different opportunities. There career is not limited up to the court rooms. Because of the industrialization, the job opportunities of court reporter are also increasing as many companies hire their own reporters. The court reporters who have excelled in CART can also work with the organizations working for deaf people. So the more the candidate is qualified in this field, the more number of opportunities one can get.
The Career as Court Reporter is one of the occupations, which is well structured and well-paid. They have the average packages according to the work they are offered. The more grips one has, the higher is he paid. Apart from the salaried jobs available, the jobs in private sectors are more lucrative. The court reporters who work as freelancers can go to many different fields also.
After working as court reporter one can apply for writing in any field. Since the person has worked as court reporter it is sure that he is would have good writing speed, analytical power, and grasping ability. Therefore, it will not be difficult for the candidate to find better jobs. Hence, Career as Court Reporter is very challenging and fruitful for future also.