Career in Sales Management
A career in sales management is a lucrative job option. A sales manager directs the program of a company. He/she sets goals, assigns sales territories and creates training programs for the sales representatives. Sales managers recommend sales representatives in order to increase their sales. In multi national companies, sales managers direct local and regional sales managers.
A sales manager has to interact with distributors and dealers. A sales manger has to analyze sales statistics collected by staff to decide sales requirements and potential to examine consumer's preferences.
The work prospect and responsibility of a sales manager varies from organization to organization. A sales manager's responsibility is to hire and train sales workers. He/she is responsible for worker's performance. In big companies, sales managers deal with assigning geographic regions to selling personnel. A sales manager represents his/her company in meetings and at trade association conferences to promote their products/services.
Some sales managers study customer's choices, direct and oversee product development and research. They are also in-charge of approving or recommending budgets for product development and research. A sales manger has to work closely with sales personnel. The responsibilities of a sales manager include:
- Responsible for development and performance of the account executives
- Create sales strategies and develop a business plan for the market that makes certain accomplishments of profitability and sales goals of a company
- Coordinate and Initiate expansion of action plans to go through new market
- Organize action plans for the team as well as individually for efficient search of sales
- Helps in the implementation and development of marketing plans
- Provide feedback to management personnel concerning performance
- Organize review with account executives to understand development and training needs, build up effective communication, offer insights for the sales improvement
- Provide accurate, timely and competitive prospect applications, which are submitted for approval, pricing whilst planning to maintain utmost profit
- Conducts and creates RFP responses and proposal presentations
- Maintain precise records of all sales, pricing and activity reports that are submitted by account executives
- Manage expenses to meet up budget guidelines
- Facilitates account executives in preparation of presentations and proposals
- Conduct tests and recruits account executives based on selection criteria
- Stick to all company procedures, policies and business ethics and make sure that they implemented and communicated within the team
A sales manager is also responsible for the expansion and performance of all sales related activities in the company. He/she leads the team towards attaining utmost growth and profitability in line with firm's value and vision. A sales manager establishes strategies and builds up plans to develop customer base in the field of marketing. A manager also contributes to expansion of training and educational programs for account executives and clients.
Candidates wishing to make a career in the field of sales management need to have completed bachelor's degree in business administration with specialization in marketing. It is an additional educational qualification for candidates who have completed courses in management, business law, accounting, economics, mathematics, finance and statistics. Candidates who have completed internship program during their schooling are highly preferred. In large companies, electronics manufacturing, computer knowledge, bachelor's degree in science, engineering, master's degree in business administration (MBA) is preferred.
Relationships and Roles
- Ensures that account executives surpass or meet all standards for appointments, proposals, presentations, prospecting calls and closes
- Delegate's responsibility and authority with follow-up and accountability
- Sets up examples for accounts executives with respect to commitment, personal character, work habits, selling skills and organizational skills
- Conduct counseling and coaching on daily basis with accounts executives to establish selling skills and motivation
- Keep up contact with clients of the company to ensure high standard satisfaction
- Unfold the capability to cooperate and interact with all employees
- Minimum five to seven years experience in sales management or in related area
- Extensive experience in complex organizations and enterprise software solutions
- Utmost experience in all elements of supplier relationship management
- Thorough understanding of market dynamics and customer requirements
- Willing to travel and work in national and international level team of expert professionals
- Ability to lead sales team and have leadership qualities
- Resolve customer queries and complaints concerning sales and service
- Examine customer preferences to choose focus on sales
- Assists, coordinate and direct activities related to sales of products, commodities, services, real estate and other related subjects of sale
- Settle on discount rates and price schedules
- Analyze profitability, operational records and project sales
- Coordinate, review and direct activities in sales, service accounting, shipping & receiving operations and record keeping
- Present or confer with department heads to sketch a plan to secure information, advertising services based upon customer specifications and equipment
- Guide distributors and dealers on operating procedures and policies to determine business functional effectiveness
- Prepare and approve budget expenditures
- Represent company at trade association conference to promote product/service
- Build up plan and direct training, staffing and performance evaluations to build up and manage sales programs.