Pros and Cons of Non Profit Careers
Pros of non profit careers:
- In non profit careers, one can make positive changes in the life of thousands of people or assist them in changing some negative characteristic of the society, to build affordable homes for poor families, or provide education to mentally challenged people.
- It gives immense satisfaction when you come to know that your every action like each call you made, your every letter, bill reconciliation, staff meeting, filing of papers do good to the person who seeks your organization's assistance.
- Working in a non profit organization is much easier than working in a corporate world. Non profit firms are very informal in terms of vacation and working hours. It also has a more moderate approach towards lifestyle.
- As there is insufficient staff to accomplish tasks in non profit organizations, it provides you the opportunity to do various kinds of tasks other than your job profile.
- In non profit careers, staff members do not execute their responsibilities for the sake of making money.
Cons of non profit careers:
- In non profit organizations, you hardly get bonuses or perks like club memberships, movie tickets. Also in the last few years, the benefit packages are also reducing.
- In a non profit organization, it is hard to measure success. For example, an organization is running a program to promote parents to read more than the children. Here, it is highly impossible to calculate the success of a campaign. It is difficult to attract funds and form sufficient focus groups.
- In some types of non profit organizations, you need to work with miserable, destitute people or even worse. People working for women's domestic abuse shelters, always have to deal with battered women and their children. Because of this, employees always suffer from a burn out and depression.
- Most of the non profits firm requires highly educated people (Masters degree or PhD) for senior level positions. However in non profit careers, one receives a less amount of salary and has to do a lot of work.