Competency Based Interview Questions
Nowadays, competency based interview questions are very popular with the interviewers. It gives them a chance to explore candidates' competencies. These interviews can be called as a sub-set of behavioral interviews. Questions related to specific competencies are directed towards the candidates. Candidates' are evaluated on the basis of their display of the skills.
Competency based interviews can include the following questions.
Questions based on Leadership Qualities :
- Describe an incident where you had successfully led a team.
- What steps do you take to keep your team members continually motivated?
- How good are you at accepting suggestions from your team members?
- How did you handle a non- co-operative subordinate?
- What is the definition of a good leader?
- In what way is criticism best communicated to the team members?
- Do you think praises are important? In what way?
Questions based on Planning and Orientation :
- Do you plan your entire work day?
- How important is time management for you? Are you a successful time manager?
- Have you ever had to reschedule your time table to accommodate any unforeseen incident? If yes, how did it affect your work?
- Do you keep your plans fixed or flexible?
- What are your priorities while planning?
- If your plans fails, do you have a back up plan to work upon?
Questions based on Problem Solving Ability :
- Would you offer to arbitrate a dispute between your colleagues?
- What are the general steps that you would take to resolve a problem?
- Do you anticipate problems in your projects in advance?
- How do you distinguish between a major and a minor problem?
- Have you ever devised an incorrect solution? How did you rectify your error?
Questions based on Interpersonal Skills :
- How would you convince your colleagues of your point of view?
- How would you convey your disapproval to a suggestion made by your manager/ team leader?
- What is the best way to communicate negative feedback?
- "Praise must be given when due." Comment.
- According to you, how important is it to build contacts - professional and personal, both?
- Do you prefer to work with a team or work individually?
- Tell me how you would address a delicate issue? *
Questions Based on Adaptability :
- Do you get along well with your team members? Give an example.
- How much time do you generally take to adjust to new people?
- Would you be comfortable if you had to shift your department?
- If a team member suggests major changes in your suggestions; how would you react?
Answers to these types of questions should be crisp and concise. Questions themselves are to-the-point and relate to a specific area. Thus, long, narrative answers should be avoided. Give examples wherever you can to reinforce your answers.