Screening Interview Tips
Interviews conducted to assess candidates before the actual selection procedure are known as screening interviews. Screening interview is an effective method to reduce the number of candidates for the job. There can be various methods of screening interviews - Telephone Interviews, Online Tests, Group Interviews etc.
It is equally important to score well in screening interviews because candidates are thoroughly analyzed for their suitability for the job. Whether you have to face telephonic interview, online test or panel interview, you have to follow a certain plan to do well in them and get noticed for your performance. Here are some general tips to give you a head start in the interviews.
- Remember that screening interviews are crucial methods for the companies to select candidates for the next round of interview. Logically, you should be able to ascertain the key qualities they are looking for in a candidate by carefully assessing the job profile.
- Once you have determined their necessity, conduct a self assessment of whether you possess the required skills. Self assessments help you to review and rate your skills.
- Understand your drawbacks and try to overcome them. Undergoing mock interviews will help you to determine your weak points and work on them.
Tips for Phone Interview
Phone Interviews are comparatively easy to go through since you do not have to face the interviewer. Nevertheless, there are certain things that need to be taken care of while attending a phone interview.
- Listen to the questions carefully. It is important to ascertain what the interviewer wants to know.
- Take some time to frame your answers. Make sure your responses are clear and are coherent. Maintain a flow while answering to a question.
- You are expected to elaborate your answers. At the same time, refrain from giving over explanations.
Tips for Online Tests
Online tests generally involve answering multiple choice questions. Though it may seem as an easy option, the questions covered can be very tricky.
- Time management is the first important tip while attending an online test. Tests have to be completed in a stipulated time period. Thus, allocation of time per question must be decided in advance. Avoid wasting too much time on one question. Move to the next question and get back to it later if time permits.
- Keep your mind off distractions. Online tests are stressful but important. Thus, keep yourself focused on the test.
- If you do not know the answer to a question, deduce your answers by logic. Logical and analytical thinking is the key to answer most of the questions.
Tips for Group Interviews
Group interview is another type of screening interview, where applicants have to go through tests in a group.
- Although group interviews are conducted in a group, the focus is usually on individual candidates. Hence, it is important to employ your skills in group activities to get noticed.
- Individual assessment is usually based on many factors such as your ability to work as a team, leadership qualities, communication skills, problem solving skills etc. You should essentially work on these factors to prepare for a group interview.
Once you clear the screening interviews, you will be called for the selection interviews that are usually conducted by specialized panel. Keep these important tips handy to secure a date for the selection interview.