Assistant Personnel Officer Responsibilities
Every employee joining any organization needs to be taken care of; be it related to work or his/her personal issues. The assistant personnel officer takes care that the employee remains content and satisfied. This ensures better efficiency and productivity leading to increased profitability of organization. The main objective of the personnel officer is to retain the employees which is a major concern for any organization.
The assistant personnel officer responsibilities normally includes a wide range of duties ranging from recruiting, training, developing, organizing the salaries, benefits, rewards, taking care of the health and safety and overall welfare of the employees. They are generally responsible for performing and working in co-ordination with the human resource department.
Core Responsibilities of an Assistant Personnel Officer
The basic objective as the job title suggests is to support the personnel manager in achieving the corporate goals and objectives of the organization. Listed below are some of the core responsibilities that need to be handled by an assistant personnel officer:
- The assistant personnel officer is responsible for observing the requirements of the new staff members to be recruited to enhance the efficiency of the company. Accordingly he conveys the information to his personnel manager and follows the directions to start hiring the new members
- Recruitment, conducting interviews, selecting the right candidates for the job form an essential part of his duty
- To provide guidance regarding the rules, policies and procedures of the organization related to the leave policy, attendance management, performance management, behavioral conduct etc.
- To research and implement new strategies for better developmental procedures
- To obtain information from all the relevant sources and convey the same to the immediate persons in the managerial position
- Developing interpersonal healthy relationships with the employees to assist in maintaining congenial work atmosphere
In addition to these primary duties he needs to perform some additional duties which are as under:
- Developing different plans for effective organization of work required on priority basis
- To resolve any issues related to work to enhance the productivity and settling the conflicts if any by using excellent negotiating and persuasive skills
- Maintaining the accurate data and records of every employee related to his attendance, leaves and or performance
- Building the team spirit and getting the members to work together to achieve the tasks assigned
- Providing any guidance and consultation related to the work procedures
- Coaching, training and motivating the staff members to constantly update their knowledge by identifying their developmental needs
He is also responsible for developing different strategies, applications, ideas to improve the profit margins of the organization. He also keeps a close eye on monitoring and controlling the resources and the overall budgeting in general. He provides all the necessary personal attention to make every employee comfortable and provides assistance in case any personal or medical support is required.
Skills Requirements for a Personnel Officer
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills are a must to understand the grievances of the employees and resolve any issues related to personal or professional problems. Should be able to empathize with their problems and maintain excellent working relationship with all the staff members
- Comfortable with calculations as he will need to maintain different kinds of reports, records related to the performance, attendance, etc
- Should be easily approachable
- Should be able to deliver solutions in a professional manner
- Should possess knowledge on psychology and human behavior
- Should have excellent IT skills
- Should be confident, self-starter and have an ability to train the employees about the policies or any other relevant training
- Should possess excellent time management and organizational skills
- Should be reliable, trustworthy and ability to maintain absolute confidentiality related to the organization
Educational Qualifications for Personnel Officer
A bachelor's degree in economy, human resource, business or marketing is preferred. Combined with these qualities and qualifications nobody can stop you from achieving success in this field.
The personnel officer will need to work in standard office hours not extending beyond 40 hours of work. He may need to attend the meetings occasionally.
Scope for an Assistant Personnel Officer
Candidates who excel as an assistant personnel officer have better chances of acquiring the post of a personnel manager.