Electrical Technician Responsibilities
Electricity is very important in our daily lives. Without electricity, we would be confined to total darkness. Whenever, we face problems related to electrical circuits or appliances, we need the electrical technician. An electrical technician is also called an electrician. He plays an important role in our daily lives by finding out the reason of electrical malfunction and rectifies the defect. He even prevents the defect from happening again and ensures the correct maintainance of the electrical appliance. The electrical technician responsibilities include starting, connecting, checking and keeping up the electrical systems for a variety of purposes like power, light, air conditioning, and refrigeration.
Key Responsibilities of Electrical Technician
The electrical technician constructs and maintains the electronic power for machineries in factories, industries, and trade. He consults the blue prints while working and installing electrical connections in factories, industries, homes, office buildings, and other places. The blue prints help him by showing the place of the electrical circuits, load centres, outlets, panel boards, and other equipments. He has the following key job responsibilities:
- Placing tubing or pipe in the walls, incoming structures, and other hidden areas in factories, industries, and offices
- Fastening electrical switches and outlets to the small wall metal boxes and pulling insulated wires or cables through the pipe or tubing to complete the electric connection between these boxes. Using plastic wire in place of a pipe or tubing in homes
- Using tools such as screw drivers, knives, pliers, hacksaws, and checking equipments such as ammetres, oscilloscopes, and test lamps
- Keeping up work by rewiring a home and exchanging an old fuse box with a new circuit breaker inclusive of additional appliances
- Mending motors, transformers, generators, electronic controllers, and industrial machines in big industries
- Repairing electrical equipments in small scale industries and office buildings
- Arranging a concentric or fibre optic cable for computers and other telecommunication machineries, in addition to wiring a building's electronic system
- Installing telephone systems and wiring computers, equipments, intercom systems, fire alarms, and security systems
- Connecting the wire to circuit breakers, modifiers, or other components
- Connecting the box wires to various connectors. Using testing equipments like voltmetres, ohmetres, and oscilloscopes to check the circuits for proper connections, ensuring electrical suitability, and safety of various components that also include all the electrical appliances or connections
- Agreeing to and using all the safety methods and precautions while working, so that he doesn't meet with an accident while installing the various electrical systems. For example, he should always wear gloves that are shock proof
- Spending time on preventative maintenance by inspecting equipments, identifying and rectifying the defects before any breakdowns
- Advising the management about the safety methods while working on electrical devices and machineries
- Advising the management of the various hazards it may face due to negligence of its duties and responsibilities
- Installing new electrical equipments, as and when needed by the office or industry. Repairing the equipments as early as possible in order to avoid inconvenience
- Replacing items like circuit breakers, switches, fuses, electronic components, and wires
- Working with and helping engineers, engineer technicians, and industrial and maintenance workers to maintain and install new electronic machineries which are complicated in nature
- Mending and maintaining high voltage systems for aiding the supply of air conditioning and water
- Studying, preparing, and drawing electrical circuits to gain a proper understanding of the entire electrical system
He remains very busy throughout the day and his job is quite stressful. He may work and remain standing on ladders for long hours. He has the risk of suffering injuries from falls, cuts, and electricity, which is why, all the safety easures should be adopted. He has to work around 40 hours a week. Overtime may be required in the case of an emergency.
One has to learn the electrical trade by completing a 4 or 5 year old apprenticeship program. Some also learn the same through informal experience.
Salary of an Electrical Technician
He earns USD 40,000 per annum on an average.
Thus, electrical technician responsibilities include solving problems related to electrical appliances, circuits, and equipments.
Electrical Technician Resume