Sample Software Resume
Software related jobs are in abundance these days. One could be a software engineer, software developer, software tester, or even an administrator in the software field. Thorough knowledge of various programming languages is a must for any professional in the software field. Software professionals need to possess good written and oral communication skills as they have to often prepare documented reports related to the various software they work on. Also, most software related individuals work in teams, which are handled by a senior professional. Hence having good interpersonal skills is also a necessary trait in a software professional. Check out the following sample software resume in order to gain better understanding on how to write your own resume.
Timmy D. Andrews
1332 Rogers Street
Cincinnati, OH 45202
Email ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
An accomplished Database Administrator with demonstrated success designing and implementing database solution that improve business functionality. Possess diversified technical background with Enterprise System Solution. Proven ability to implement technologies that decrease costs, increase performance and positively affect the bottom line.
Summary of Qualifications
- Extensive experience working with all aspects of in-house developed system.
- Polished leadership skills, with ability to motivate teams to increase productivity.
- Expertise in full project life cycle development for implementation and integration.
- Deep understanding of technology with focus on delivering business solutions.
Languages: C, C++, Visual Basic, Perl, PL/SQL, COBOL, IBM Assembler, CICS, TCP/IP, MQ/Series, IMS/DC, Transact/SQL, Windows NT 4.0 Server
Software: Oracle (6,7,8), DB2, SQL Server, Access, Brio Enterprise, D2K Tapestry, Sybase, IMS, OEM, Oracle Financials.
Systems: Windows (95, 98, 2000, NT), UNIX, MS/DOS, Mac/OS, VAX/VMS, OS/390
Hardware: IBM RS/6000, Sun, SGI, HP, UNIX Server, Compaq, Dell, DEC Alpha, IBM Mainframe (360, 370, 30XX, S/390)
Certification: Oracle Certified Professional, Oracle Database Administrator (Oracle 8i)
Senior Database Consultant, ABC Company
Somewhere, Some State, 1998 - Present.
Oversaw design and maintenance of Database environment at Arco Alaska division of $50 billion Oil Exploration and Production Company. Supported distributed Oracle database environment. Performed upgrades, patch maintenance and integration with vendor software on AIX, NT and Solaris platforms. Led up to 7 team members performing Database Administration.
- Initiated utilization of Data Warehouse ETL software during conversion of legacy data in IMS to Oracle, saving over 50% of total project costs by reducing contract programming.
- Led design of data Warehouse for Arco Alaska encompassing extraction of IBM legacy system business and engineering data into Oracle for support purpose, which improved timeliness of reports and enhanced ability to analyze inventory.
- Established systems to provide limited data to vendors extranet, resulting in dramatically reduced world load on accounting staff.
- Severed as technical project lead for database server consolidations project, collapsing multiple database servers to form large SMP environment, reducing costs by eliminating two DBA positions.
- Performed key role as technical consultant during transition from IBM Mainframe to client/server model. Recommended database, development and network software that contributed to eliminating mainframe support structure with 20% decrease in support costs.
Database Design Analyst, XYZ Company
Somewhere, Some State, 1996 - 1998.
Developed database for $30 million Software Development Company serving insurance industry. Provided logical and physical database design for client management software. Performed design within IMS.DB, CISC environment.
- Implemented design enhancements for major IMS database and initial release of Client Management System that substantially reduced load times and online transaction response.
- Designed and deployed data migration process for release to beta site customers, performing onsite implementation and decreasing migration process from several weeks to 2 days.
Programmer/Analyst, LMN Company
Somewhere, Some State, 1993-1996
Designed database for $15 billion leading electronics manufacturer. Developed software in large scale IMS DB/DC environment. Coded programs using COBOL and Assembler supporting various business functions. Served as lead analyst for Field Service and Marketing Support Systems.
- Enhanced networking software that cut distributed transaction processing by more than 70%, allowing field offices to receive critical service requests in timely manner.
- Developed IMS support software, which reduced index build times by up to 90%, which facilitated shrinkage of database maintenance windows to manageable levels.
- designed and built IMS database to support migration of distributed systems to central mainframe.
University of ABC, some country, some state
Bachelor of Science in Computer science
Minor in Business Information Systems
Sample Software Resume 2
With the software industry being fastest rising industry of the last decade, it is essential to possess an excellent software resume, which will give you an edge over other applicants in this cut-throat competition of information technology (IT) jobs. Software professionals are expected to have thorough knowledge about various computer programming languages and their real world applications. They should possess good analytical, interpersonal and communication skills. A software professional needs to have a bachelor's degree in computer science or an equivalent degree for entry level software jobs. Additional qualifications in the managerial field are required for higher positions in this field. Check out the below sample software resume to gain better understanding on writing it.
Bernice M. Cozart
563 Poco Mas Drive
Frisco, TX 75034
Email ID: email@example.com
B.A., St. Olaf College, Northfield, Minnesota, 1986.
Degree in Computing Science through the St. Olaf Paracollege, an open education program modeled (loosely) after the Oxford University tutorial system. Related course work includes:
Software: Computer Organization; Data Structures and Algorithms; Database Systems; Compiler Design Seminar.
Mathematics: Calculus; Abstract Algebra; Discrete Mathematics.
- Caspian Networks, Inc., San Jose, California.
- September 2002 - present: Director of Networking and Management Software
- September 2002 - present: General Manager, Minnesota development office
- Optical Solutions, Inc., Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- May 2002 - August 2002: Director of Software
- November 2000 - May 2002: Manager of Data Switching Software
- Ziga Systems Corporation (co-founder), Golden Valley, Minnesota.
March 1998 - November 2000: Vice President of Software Development.
- Ascend Communications (now part of Lucent Technologies InterNetworking Systems).
High Performance Networking Division (formerly NetStar, Inc.), Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
- January 1998 - March 1998: Dynamic Routing Team Lead.
- August 1995 - March 1998: Principal Software Architect.
- Manager of Software Architecture and Protocols group (August 1996 - August 1997)
- NetStar, Inc., Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
- April 1995 - August 1995: Principal Software Engineer.
Acting Software Manager, July 1995 - August 1995.
- August 1993 - April 1995: Senior Software Engineer.
- Cray Research, Inc., Eagan, Minnesota.
- 1992 - August 1993: Senior Programmer/Analyst II;
- December 1990 - 1992: Senior Programmer/Analyst I.
- October 1985 - December 1990: Programmer/Analyst.
- Project leader for installation, configuration and packaging software (July 1991 - August 1993).
- Member of TCP/IP Networking group (October 1988 - July 1991).
- System administrator for Cray-2 Software Development (October 1985 - October 1988).
- Computer Consoles, Inc. (since acquired by ICL).
Office Systems Group, Reston, Virginia.
September 1983 - October 1985: Software Engineer.
Senior group member, word processor development.
- St. Olaf College, Northfield, Minnesota.
May 1981 - September 1983: Professional Programmer.
Applications programming, microcomputer systems manager.
NOTEWORTHY MANAGERIAL WORK
- As founder of the SCons project, have been responsible for management for a group of volunteer Open Source developers, including coordination of development efforts, communication through email and web site maintenance, and steering the project through decisions about development methodology, architecture, integration and testing strategy, documentation, etc.
- At Caspian Networks, managed 50 software engineers across three development sites, including responsibility for operating and capital budgets. Managed the team through a RIF, including responsibility for selecting candidates, messaging, and team leadership afterwards. Assumed release management responsibilities, including collection of ongoing development status and coordinating release schedules and naming.
- At Optical Solutions, managed a team of 30 software engineers after promotion from managing a single group of six. Managed the team through a RIF as a new director, including responsibility for selecting candidates, messaging, and team leadership afterwards.
- At Ziga Systems, led searches for and hired all software development personnel, and led search to expand the executive team.
NOTEWORTHY COMPUTING WORK
- Presented a paper on SCons Design and Development at the Tenth International Python Conference, February 2002. Nominee for best paper award.
- Founder of the SCons project, June 2001. Principal architect, integrator, and project manager for this Open Source Python-based build tool, based on the winning design in the Software Carpentry build tool competition.
- Winner of the Software Carpentry SC Build software design competition, August 2000.
- Architect of key subsystems of the Ziga Systems Corp. zNAP, including:
- designing and implementing extensible lookup algorithm;
- creating network object framework for downloadable extensibility of its multi-gigabit packet forwarding;
- build and packaging infrastructure.
- Principal architect of system-level software for the Lucent Technologies GRF Multigigabit Router (formerly the Ascend Communications GRF IP Switch, formerly the NetStar GigaRouter), including:
- designing proprietary internal protocols for addressing and communication between GigaRouter media cards;
- designing and implementing a BSD/OS (UNIX) kernel socket layer for internal GigaRouter protocols;
- designing and implementing GigaRouter administrative applications;
- designing and implementing an SNMP-like internal protocol for setting and fetching configuration information on GigaRouter media cards;
- reimplementing a dynamic array library for GigaRouter media cards;
- designing and implementing the memory allocation library for GigaRouter media cards;
- writing GigaRouter installation software;
- serving as source code integrator for the software development team;
- working as part of a team designing and implementing IEEE 802.1d-compliant bridging for the GigaRouter;
- re-designing and implementing the IP (version 4) forwarding stack used by GigaRouter media cards;
- implementing MAC-Layer Standby Protocol.
- Active participant in the community maintaining and extending Cons, an open-source software construction utility with significant advantages over Make. Added a Repository feature that is an improvement on Make's VPATH feature. Created a regression test suite for Cons. Current maintainer of the Cons FAQ. Current integrator and release coordinator for development versions of Cons.
- Content maintainer of the web site for the Rose Ensemble. Responsible for current pages, supporting scripts, etc. (everything except the actual visual design).
- Project leader for UNICOS menu-driven installation, configuration and packaging software. In this role, provided technical leadership and direction for a section of 10 people.
- Project leader for UNICOS networking installability project. Ported BIND (BSD domain name server) and GateD (multi-protocol routing daemon) to Cray processors.
- Designed and implemented support of a multiple-root environments under UNICOS to allow easy sharing of resources between development and production efforts. Standardized electronic mail administration on 1000+ hosts on Cray's internal network (i.e., was the original Cray mail guru).
- Modifications to the word processor in CCI's OFFICEPOWER office automation system:
- implemented a block insert mode to offload WP functionality to an intelligent terminal;
- designed and implemented fault-tolerant crash recovery for documents;
- integrated third-party spell-check software into the system;
- designed proportional spacing enhancement;
- hacked in a an easter-egg signature (displayed in response to an odd key sequence) crediting the word processor's authors the day before I left
- Added a multi-format device driver for a DEC RX02 8-inch floppy disk drive (!) to V7 UNIX kernel
- Wrote software and documentation for a text formatter used on three operating systems (UNIX, HDOS, CP/M) at St. Olaf College, Luther College, and the University of Minnesota-Duluth. Designed and wrote a companion text editor at St. Olaf College
- Operating Systems: UNIX (V7, SYSV, 4.3BSD, UNICOS, Solaris, BSD/OS, Linux), Windows NT
Passing familiarity with (used) MS-DOS, Windows 95, MacOS
- Protocols: TCP/IP, UDP, RIP, DNS, BGP3, BGP4, OSPFv2, IS-IS, PPP, VRRP, DHCP
- Networking media: Ethernet, FDDI, ATM, HIPPI, SONET
- Processors: MC68000 family; Intel *86 family; Cray processors; Texas Instruments C30
- Programming and Scripting Languages: C, sh/ksh, Perl, Perl5, Python
Passing familiarity with (used) PASCAL, LISP, FORTRAN
- Source Code Control / Configuration Management Systems: RCS, CVS, Aegis, ClearCase
- Markup Languages: HTML, XML, DocBook
CORPORATE GOVERNANCE HISTORY
- Ziga Systems Corporation, Golden Valley, Minnesota.
March 1998 - November 2000: Member of Board of Directors
NOTEWORTHY BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT WORK
- Member of team negotiating acquisition of Ziga Systems Corp. by Optical Solutions, Inc
- Technology consultant to unnamed Fortune 500 company during acquisition due diligence process, August - September 2000. Responsible for evaluating and reporting on viability of IP forwarding and dynamic routing technology of an early-stage company
PERSONAL DATA AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Outside interests: Early music; medieval and renaissance musicology; professional tenor (and haut-contre wanna-be); music theory and composition; film (esp. animated film); investing; accounting.
References: Available upon request.
Sample Software Resume 3
Software professionals have to keep updating their knowledge about various programming languages and technologies on a regular basis as new developments in the field of information and technology take place at a rapid pace. Software based jobs are the most sought after and thus it is essential to have a good and professionally written resume in order to increase your chances of securing the desired job. Educational details should be listed on your resume in a brief manner and the same applies for the technical skills that you may possess in a programming language or operating system. Past experience as an intern or a full time software professional should be mentioned along with the job functions carried out by you. Refer to the below given sample software resume in order to gain better understanding on how to draft your own resume.
Scott A. Cooper
3511 Goff Avenue
Vicksburg, MI 49097
Email ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Databases: Sybase DMBS, MS SQL Server 7.0, MS-Access.
- Software: Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack/IIS, MS Visual Studio/InterDev 6.0, Adobe Photoshop 5.0, Real Media, MS Office 2000, Adobe Premier 5.0.
- Operating Systems: Windows 98, Windows NT 4.0, UNIX
KFIC Finance, Oxnard, CA
May 2000 - Present
Experience Gained While Pursuing Degree
- Working with a 5 team members to develop a web-based application tool, KFIC.net that will be marketed to financial professionals to assist them in making investment decisions by providing real-time notes, earnings estimates, company fundamentals, broker research, and the ability to incorporate user's own data.
- Accountable for developing company consensus area, company snapshot area, company fundamentals area, research screening area, and broker screening area of the KFIC.net application and the application menu's original design and it's navigation functionality
- Design and implement the application that meets the user's requirements document
- Used input from product management and marketing to develop the functionality and overall look of the application to fulfill needs of customer
- Developed a demo version of the application to incorporate and solicit feedback into the design
California State Medical, Roseville, CA
Student Assistant - Part-Time
- Gathered and entered data for billing and invoicing for the department
- Maintained and organized database by using the software, MS Access to provide correct patient records
- Collected and entered data for invoicing and billing for the department
California State University, CA
Bachelor of Science, Computer Science
Major GPA: 3.4/4.0; Cumulative GPA: 3.0/4.0
You can also use resume software to create your resume.