Food Service Director Job Description
The food service director responsibilities include successful food cooking and ensuring that good quality food is available at that restaurant or place. He is also known as the food manager and his is quite a demanding job. He ensures that there is enough supply of all the constituents and ingredients that are required to make the proposed meals. He makes sure that the implements used in making the food items and meals are spick and span and that they conform to the general standards of the state and restaurant.
He ensures that even the kitchen area is perfectly clean, that it conforms to the general health codifications and even takes new waiters and dismisses the old and inefficient ones. He even distributes his responsibilities to the other co-workers in the restaurant. He administrates and oversees the whole restaurant. He has many job responsibilities, out of which the key ones are as under:
Food Service Director Responsibilities
- Planning projects for each of the employees and adopting suitable measures to solve conflict matters within the restaurant
- Directing most of the administration activities that are necessary to execute his responsibilities in the restaurant
- Running paysheet data in lieu of the entire dining and kitchen personnel
- Interacting with all the possible sellers and arranging new implements and extra food items required for the new customers or for the preparation of new food items
- Supervising the operations of the support personnel of the kitchen and eating area of the restaurant
- Acting as the maintenance man for all the technical problems of the restaurant and participating in strange and difficult events that take place in the restaurant and that the other personnel are not able to cope with
- Collaborating with the food providers to execute certain job responsibilities and roles
- Overseeing and managing the acquisition of restaurant food, food items and food stock list and administrating the work of servers and cooks at the restaurant
- Sanitizing the kitchen as per the accepted regularities of the restaurant or place so that the customers tasting the food don't fall ill
- Executing many important jobs inside the kitchen of the restaurant and making sure that the food being supplied to the customers are rich in all types of nutrients and that it conforms to the healthy regularities of the restaurant
- Accountable for the health of the customers and consulting skilled and expert dieticians in order to plan a balanced diet for his customers
- Executing operations of a providing business and concentrating on serving a large number of customers
- Operating as a director and accepting temporary duty projects from the customers
- Overseeing the food service in the entire restaurant and relishing and learning each and every possible cooking skill
- Administrating the kitchen personnel and chalking out the merchandising of food items
- Ensuring that the food served is healthy and suitable for all the customers
- Acting on the feedback about the taste of the food items received from the customers and ensuring that they get satisfied every time they come back
- Ensuring that all his orders are obeyed by the staff of the restaurant and taking strict action against those who don't obey him
- Ensuring that the menus of the restaurant are designed in such a manner that they cater to the needs of a wide variety of customers
- Observing and leading the restaurant personnel and advising them according to the situations as and when needed
- Executing all the other job responsibilities that fall under his jurisdiction
Qualifications and Skills Required
The candidate should have a bachelor's degree in hotel management. Having a master's degree in the same would help him reach higher positions, earn a higher salary and earn respect from others. This would certainly give him more job opportunities. Apart from all these, having good cooking skills would be a plus point. He also needs to have worked earlier in a similar field for about 5 years. He needs to have good communication skills in order to impress the customers.
His is a demanding job, and he needs to work for about 12 hours or more in a single day. He remains very stressed and generally works in restaurants and hotels.
A food service director draws a salary of USD 60, 000 per annum on an average. But it is not the same in all the places, and the duties and responsibilities undertaken by a person are considered when deciding the salary.
Thus, the food service director responsibilities include overseeing all the cooking activities of the restaurant and satisfying the customers with good quality food services.
For resume help, see our Food Service Director Resume