Food Service Worker Job Description
The food service worker responsibilities include working for executing kitchen food operations that ensure that good food items are prepared by the cooks and the other associate food service workers are directed towards serving quality and quantity food items to the customers.
He is responsible for sanitizing the restaurant rooms, kitchen and other areas that are deemed fit for the clients. He oversees the cooking of food items in restaurants and also modifies the recipes from time to time, as and when required.
This is mainly done in order to cater to the needs and tastes of different customers.
He is responsible for cleaning the food products bought from the market that are required for the customers and chopping them into various pieces under the able guidance of the head chef and cooking the same and checking the availabilty of all the constituents that are needed for making the food items.
He washes the plates and glasses of the customers and is the key person accountable for completing the main customer job responsibilities of the restaurant. The responsibilities of a food service worker vary from one worker to another and is dependant on the levels of his intellectuality and expertise.
However, his key responsibilities are as under:
Food Service Worker Responsibilities
- Receiving food orders from the customers at the table, going to the kitchen, making the food items and providing them with the same in order to get the payment of all those food items after they are done with their meal
- Reserving and booking seats for the customers on the phone and suggesting them to try tasty and quality food items that are available in the menu
- Administrating and directing the work of the kitchen and modifying the menu as and when required as per the kind of food items cooked and served
- Cleaning the utensils, equipment, plates, glasses and other customer and food worker activity areas of the kitchen and keeping the food items in selected containers and storehouses to avoid them from getting spoiled
- Cooking food items as per the choice and order of the customers under the able guidance of seniors
- Adding different ingredients into the food items he has cooked and examining the taste of the same in order to ensure that they are suitable for consumption by the customers
- Carrying food plates and food dishes of the customers from the kitchen and placing them on the right table
- Helping the customers with matters relevant to the quality and quantity of the food items and ensuring that the food items are delivered to the customers on the basis of first come-first serve basis
- Ensuring that the customers don't have too long for getting their ordered food items in case there's a lot of rush in the restaurant and managing the new customer crowd of the restaurant to wait outside
- Calling the new customers to the restaurant and alloting them to places as soon as the old customers leave and are done with their meals
- Collecting the plates, utensils and all other food equipment after they have been used by the customers and throwing the waste food items into a garbage bin that is large enough to accommodate huge amounts of waste food items
- Wrapping different food items with silver papers in order to present them decently to the customers and parcelling some of the extra food items that are to be carried home by the customers
- Disposing off all the waste contents of the garbage bin on the next day and keeping the empty bin back in the kitchen to continue with the functions
- Ensuring that the customers are contented with his services and taking their feedback in order to enhance the standard of the restaurant
- Reporting to the manager about all the important matters that take place inside the premises of the restaurant
- Ensuring that the food prepared for the customers is very tasty and is in accordance with all the safety rules and regulations of the restaurant
- Ensuring that the food items given to his customers are hygenic and do not make the customers ill
- Reporting the customer complaints regarding the food items to the manager of the restaurant
- Ensuring that he has good relations with the customers and other workers in order to maintain a healthy worker and customer friendly environment inside the restaurant
- Ensuring that the food items match up to the expectations of the customers
- Assisting old and sick customers with finding seats for them and settling them at the tables and ensuring that they are looked after throughout their stay in the restaurant
- Reporting to the manager and director of the restaurant in order to make sure that all the operations of the restaurant have been executed properly
- Executing other operations of the restaurant kitchen that fall under his jurisdiction
Qualifications and Skills Required
A person willing to become a food service worker should be good at food preparation, cooking, serving and helping skills. Apart from these, he should be able to work with a team and carry heavy objects and plates. He should have the ability to read and write instructions and must be able to carry out operations in cold storehouses.
He works for long hours in rooms at high temperatures and also executes his operations in cold storage rooms. He remains very busy and in the midst of many customers. He has rotational shift duties and works for about 9 hours every single day and 54 hours a week.
A food service worker earns an average salary of about USD 19, 500. This salary can increase or decrease with regard to the skills of the food service worker.
Thus, the food service worker responsibilities include working as the able administrator of the kitchen operations and taking care of the customers.