Assistant Plant Manager Responsibilities
An assistant plant manager is a person who works under the supervision of a plant manager and ensures smooth flow of work in his absence. To understand the role of an assistant plant manager it is first necessary to acquire an in-depth knowledge on the responsibilities of an assistant plant manager.
Key Responsibilities of Assistant Plant Manager
An assistant plant manager works in a supervisory position and is responsible for the general plant operation and maintenance to achieve the assigned production objectives by motivating the staff members. Here is a list of key assistant plant manager responsibilities:
- Co-ordinate and direct the staff members regarding the activities that need to be performed in the absence of the plant manager
- To keep a close eye on the buying, selling and quality of the material used in production to give maximum output
- To make optimum use of the equipment and available manpower to ensure better productivity
- To ensure that the work gets done as per the priority within the framed budget by maintaining the quality standards and delivering the products on the given deadline
- Implement new plans to ensure better results in accordance with the quality standards
- To maintain, compile, store and retrieve any data and information related to the production
- He is responsible for resolving the employee issues with the help of human resource department.
- He makes sure that all the safety and precautionary measures are taken care of by adhering to the company rules and regulations.
- He can also train the employees in case at any point a back up is needed.
- He can implement different ideas to provide innovative operating procedures and methods to eliminate the obstacles in the production and improve the quality after discussing with the plant manager.
- He needs to revise the schedules in case of absence of employees or in case of failure of production equipment.
- He also reviews the production, quality, operations and maintenance reports to know the pros and cons related to the production work.
- He can provide some suggestions to reduce the cost of production.
Essential Skills for an Assistant Plant Manager
To make a successful career as an assistant plant manager you need to have some of the following essential skills:
- Excellent time management and organizational skills : These are necessary when some employees may remain absent or when the equipment failure occurs. Some work needs to be done on a priority basis to complete the work on the given deadline
- Excellent communication skills: These are required to understand the needs and concerns of the employees. These skills are crucial in instructing the employees under the directions of plant manager and training the members whenever there is a requirement.
- Good decision making skills: These skills are essential whenever one needs to take an appropriate decision taking into account the cost, quality and delivery of the product on time
- Good IT and arithmetic skills: These are essential to study and analyze different kinds of production reports
- Excellent physique: Physical strength is required to demonstrate the safe operation methods of different kinds of equipments
- Excellent knowledge: He should have sound knowledge related to the production, processing and handling of different equipments
An assistant plant manager needs to work in normal standard shift timings. He may be required to lift heavy equipments at times to demonstrate its usage. He also has an authority to re-schedule the shifts to ensure the completion of work on time.
Academic Qualifications Required for an Assistant Plant Manager
A four year bachelor's degree in industrial technology, business administration , engineering or any management course is sufficient to jump start your career as an assistant plant manager. If you have relevant production experience of three years or more you can easily achieve your dream job as there is a growing demand for the assistant plant managers especially in the manufacturing industries.
An assistant plant manager's responsibilities closely match with the duties of a plant manager. So if you feel confident of handling the responsibilities single handedly, even in the absence of a plant manager, and are an effective communicator, you have excellent opportunities of achieving the position of a plant manager.
Assistant Plant Manager Cover Letter