Application Development Manager Job Description
Software applications installed in any organization need to be monitored continuously and upgrading them as per the current requirements to meet the industry standards is also an ongoing process. Application development managers are involved in analyzing the existing software applications installed in any organization and make sure that they are as per the current industry requirements. If the existing software systems have some deficiencies and need to be upgraded to increase the performance then the application development mangers perform leadership role in the software upgrading process. The application development manager job description given here will give you a clear idea of the responsibilities, qualifications, etc., required in this profile.
Competencies Required in an Applications Development Manager:
The responsibilities of an applications development manager are similar to any software development project manager. Therefore, he/she should possess all the skills expected of a software development project manager.
- Sound knowledge of the operating systems that the organization is using so that they can build or upgrade the software accordingly
- Should posses ability to understand the existing systems and outline specifications of the users to make the software more user friendly
- They are required to analyze the industry and identify the industry standards for the software
- Applications development manager should have ability to develop logic for programming through flowcharts and algorithms
- They should also have the ability to code programs using programming languages like C, C++, Java, .Net, etc., and make modifications in the databases as well
- They should have sound knowledge of networking protocols, HTML, XML and scripting languages
- A person having good reasoning ability will be able to find out defects in the existing systems easily. Therefore, it is essential to have this personality trait along with expertise in mathematics
Job Responsibilities of an Applications Development Manager:
- Applications development managers analyze the existing software systems and find out defects or incapability within them
- They understand clients requirements and are most of the times engaged in client side development process
- They plan budgets to upgrade the existing systems to meet the requirements of the client and that suit the current industry requirements
- They design rough logic to be implemented in upgrading the systems
- Understand the architecture of the systems and give specifications to the development team involved in the development process so that the systems developed are compatible to the operating system, hardware, etc.
- If any up gradations are to be done in the operating systems and the hardware, they also plan and provide the budget to provide them to the clients
- Involved in the development process if the organization is small and there are few developers participating in the development process
An applications development manager should have a bachelor's or master's degree in Computer Science. Having experience in software development is also essential to work as an application development manager as this is one of the senior positions in the software industry. Certification courses are also available for people who want to specialize in particular software technologies. Getting certified in a particular technology will definitely add importance to your resume.
Salaries for Application Development Manager:
The average annual compensation paid for application development managers is $84,000. This figure may vary depending upon the organization, country and number of years of experience.
If you are looking for an opportunity as an application development manger then you should possess managerial skills and decision taking ability. The applications development manager job description cited will definitely help you in this career.
Application Development Manager Resume